Rewire Your Home if You See These Signs!

Your home needs rewiring when the faulty power supply becomes unstable or even dangerous. It can lead to an electric shock or fire accidents. 

How critical is it to verify that perhaps the wiring in your home is in good shape? 

rewire home

According to the reports by the US Fire Dept., the US Fire Service responded to an unprecedented 26k domestic electrical fires per year. Remember the bobcat fire? It also started when tree branches fell on the power lines.

These fires are estimated to have caused 280 deaths, 1,125 injuries, and $1.1 billion in property damage. More than a thousand people died from electrical shock or fires made by a short circuit in Atlanta last year.

39% of home electrical fires involve plugs and sockets, internal home wiring, or other electrical wiring.

Although these statistics are alarming, you may take precautions to keep your home away from being a part of these numbers. Your home electrical system may require an upgrade or repair. If you live in Atlanta or especially in Georgia, Atlanta electricians provide 24-h emergency services.

Comprehensive wiring for a modern electrical system can be a massive expense. 

Warning Signs

When a potential problem shows up, the electrical system usually displays a signal. If you find any of the following warning signs, have an electrician check the wiring:

Often a fuse or circuit breaker blows

Over-reinforced or over-tapered distribution board

The light dims or blinks, indicating that the circuit is overloaded or the connection is loose

Overheated or discolored switchboard, cord, or plug

Bulbs burn out frequently in its socket or a lamp that cannot cope with the bulb's power.

A buzzing or hissing noise

Burning smell

An arc or spark emits from the outlet when the power cord is connected or disconnected.

Single departures

Cracked, cut, or broken insulation

The electric shock when connecting or touching the power cord

Other Reasons

Even if you do not find any warning signs of wiring errors, it is best to check your home wiring system regularly. Electrical specifications vary depending on where you live. 

Buying a house near power lines or electrical substations can be dangerous.

For example, Atlanta had a few massive power outages last year. However, in some common cases, they need to be verified by qualified professionals.

If your house is over 40 years old

If you use any extension cord

If you have done a home renovation or have added large new appliances that can put pressure on your existing system

If your house is ungrounded, there are two pins

If your home uses aluminum instead of copper wires

Even if you do not find any of these warning signs, there will be no loss in checking the electrical system.

Here are some of the most crucial issues.

Your home wiring has not been updated in decades.

According to FEMA, electrical problems are the leading cause of nearly ten percent of all residential fires? In most cases, these electrical problems are caused by outdated wiring in the home. 

Many households in Atlanta are at least 30 years old. As wiring becomes old, it can degrade or damage, causing various issues.

Older cables may not meet modern power requirements either (all these iPads). If your house is old and the wires have never been replaced, then maybe it is time to think about it. You might be surprised how modern wiring impacts the efficiency and safety of your home.

The plug and switch look discolored.

Discolored plugs are usually due to loose connections or depleted quality of wiring. Loose wiring can emit sparks like an open circuit. 

These sparks can ignite a fire. Of course, it also becomes a serious safety issue.

Loose connections and clippings will only get worse over time. The more serious these problems, the greater the sparks generate, and the risk of fire and electric shock becomes huge. 

Remember: Due to electrical issues, ten perfect apartment fires have started. Discoloration of the switch may be the first sign of a problem.

There is a persistent burning smell, without origin.

This warning flag is synchronized with the last one. If the connection near the plug is loose or the wiring is not correct, the spark will burn the plastic wiring of the plug. 

Sometimes, there can be a loose connection or wiring error in the wall, and you may not see it.

However, even if you do not see electrical combustion, you can feel it. If you have a faint, lingering smell of burning plastic in your home, there may be a problem with the wiring. 

The spark can burn the plastic casing inside the wall. It would be best if you take care of the spark as soon as possible. Aside from a burning junction box, these sparks can easily cause other problems.

Your lights flicker frequently.

Before you rewire your entire house to fix flashing lights, ask yourself a few questions. First, are the bulbs inserted correctly into the socket? If the bulbs are a little loose, they may flicker from time to time. Is there any loose connection? If you do not have any of these issues, it may be a wiring fault.

When the wiring does not function normally, the current through it may not always reach its destination. Therefore, you will have irregular connections and flashing lights. Unfortunately, incorrect wiring is relatively common and naturally occurs over time. In case of a problem with the wiring, the best option is to replace it.

The circuit breaker turns off frequently.

When any circuit becomes overloaded with excessive supply, you may use a circuit breaker to cut off the power. When used correctly, they can prevent dangerous overloads that can lead to electric shock.

However, over time, the circuit breaker can fail like everything else. When circuit breakers no longer measure the current flowing through them accurately, they can trip too often. Eventually, worn circuit breakers can stop working altogether. So they (or the cables) need to be replaced.


If you own a house, we recommend that you test your electrical installations every ten years, and if you rent it, test every five years. 

Older homes also tend to have fewer electrical sockets, which means that extension cords are used more, and sockets can sometimes be overloaded.